Figure drawing following Steve Huston method

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Figure drawing following Steve Huston method

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sarasmith712
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi I all just finished this piece using Steven Huston’s technique.  I really struggled with the face on this and I messed around with it so much it was beyond repair.  I would be grateful for any advice for improvement . Many thank

Sara (Derbyshire

haggiben
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think that there are a few problems in the  shadow areas:

They are to black, and even though you simplified those areas you should have used a lighter tone, while of course still maintaining the clear separation form the tones used on the light areas. In general I think such dark shadows should be used sparingly perhaps only in the occlusion shadow to maintain a balanced image.

You have also kept the secondary lighting inconsistently only on some areas,such as the left upper arm, both knees which raises the question, Why do the other shadow surfaces not have secondary lighting at all? Especially since the background is not dark there should be some reflected light on all the shadow surfaces.

But  I think that the piece as a whole is drafted very well. The anatomy and composition seem true and appealing. The lit areas are rendered superbly and show the muscle tone and in all the lighting arrangement defines the character very well. That in my opinion is the most important thing, that the drawing as a whole is appealing.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I agree with everything haggiben said. Also I would add that the more you treat areas as form the better the illusion will work. The head has a wedging front plane and side plane which is good but the features feel like the resort back to shape. If you need to draw larger to help you that’s okay but every form even the nose should feel as 3d as how you’ve drawn the legs.

sarasmith712
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

haggiben thank you so much for you thoughts about my work and taking the time to provide me with a critique.  I will have a think about how to tackle these shadow areas.  Funnily enough I had not considered these areas but now I see exactly what you mean.  Thank you again for you time and advice I will get on with trying to resolve these areas.

Sara

sarasmith712
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua I really struggled with the face on this piece- I think I reworked it to the point it was irreparable.
    Your comments are really useful thank your advice and critique

Sara

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

@sarasmith712, your drawing was critiqued by @ChrisLegaspi!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.